ORG: International Kangaroo Care Awareness Day
FOUNDER: Yamile Jackson, PhD, PE, PMP
FOUNDED: May 15th, 2011
“Nothing heals the soul, body and mind of a parent and newborn
more than being connected by touch during kangaroo care.”
―Yamile Jackson, Founder
Mission: Increase awareness, knowledge, and safety to enhance implementation and practice of kangaroo care and skin-to-skin contact.
The International Kangaroo Care Awareness Day (May 15th) is a GLOBAL event celebrated since 2011 by communities with newborns Kangaroo Care parents, organizations, and professionals.
Kangaroo Care Day History
9 years ago, Kangaroo Care Day was the first organization to recognize the need for increasing awareness, safety and practice of kangaroo care when it called on kangaroo care leaders around the world. Since then, tens of thousands of parents, clinicians, educators, volunteers, and friends have participated in providing hands-on kangaroo care training, friendly competitions, and empowering experiences related to skin to skin contact to millions of newborns and their families.
Who we are:
- We are imperfect parents, friends, organizations, volunteers, and perinatal professionals from around the world that support creative solutions to accelerate the implementation and safety of evidence-based kangaroo care.
- We believe that every newborn and parent have the right to feel loved, develop body, mind, and soul in the best possible conditions, and be given the opportunity to kangaroo care and thrive.
- We support and empower communities to celebrate, share, and engage locally. They raise awareness, safety, education, and the practice of Kangaroo Care / skin-to-skin contact for newborns, especially those in Neonatal Intensive Care Units (NICUs) and other hospital units then at home.
What we do:
- Kangaroo Care Day works to ensure people everywhere understand how kangaroo care makes the world of parents and newborns a better place not only during the hospital stay but for a lifetime. 9 years ago, we were the first to call on the perinatal community to celebrate, engage and share kangaroo care in their local hospitals and help parents discover or improve the practice. Now we lead a growing volunteer and educator movement recognized worldwide. Help celebrate our legacy and build for the future through the power of touch.
Kangaroo Care Day During COVID-19:
- Visit www.Kangaroo.Care
- Every day, COVID-19 increases the separation between babies and their parents. Whether babies are hospitalized, or parents are in the frontlines fighting the virus. This year, encourage holding when possible or take the opportunity to do more training about kangaroo care. Visit www.Kangaroo.Care
Nurtured by Design’s The Zaky Annual Giveaway, this year #TOGETHERAPART
The Zaky Cares is the Social Responsibility arm of Nurtured by Design. One of our traditions since 2011 is that for Zachary’s birthday, we donate The Zaky ZAK to NICUs and PICUs that celebrate Kangaroo Care Day on May 15th. That is our way to give thanks to our heroes, celebrate Zachary’s birthday, and his high school graduation!
This year, because of COVID-19, more parents and clinicians are requesting The Zaky so we are donating US$5000 worth of The Zaky HUG (if they are #APART) and The Zaky ZAK (if they can be #TOGETHER). Who can apply?
- Parents of hospitalized babies in neonatal or pediatric intensive care units.
- Any hospital unit that celebrates Kangaroo Care Day (May 15th)
- Frontline Workers of COVID-19 that are parents of newborns.
- Visit www.thezaky.com to learn more or to apply before May 10th.
Nurtured by Design is a small, family-owned and operated company. Zachary, who inspired our products (this is our story) is using his quarantine to assist with this donation while finishing high school. Thank you so much for sharing this project with your friends, colleagues, and family.
Stay safe, healthy, and nurture while #Together and #Apart with The Zaky.
CLICK HERE FOR BULK ORDERS AND DONATION INQUIRIES: