From the mad dash to the many different medical and therapy appointments to safeguarding your home and new baby from the dreaded RSV season; parenting a preemie at home is far from easy. Here are some great resolutions to help you keep your sanity as you ease into 2020:
- Set Boundaries: Well intentioned family/friends will want to visit. Tune into yourself and choose what works for you. Don’t be afraid to communicate your needs. Be firm with your schedule.
- Partner Time: Take time out to process with your partner – vent, cry, create a safety net so that you and your partner can continually check in to see what the needs are.
- Support Groups: Find your tribe! Connect with other families who get it. These are the ones who can give you support, understanding and calm in an oftentimes chaotic world.
- Ask and Accept HELP: Asking and accepting help is hard sometimes, but there is no shame in asking for help from your support system.
- Eat: Make a conscious decision of eating three meals and two snacks a day. Nourishing your body with nutritious food is extremely important to keep your energy up, especially if you are expressing breastmilk.
- Capture the moment: Grab your camera and capture daily moments that make you smile. This can be a big recipe for happy AND can provide a creative recharge!
- Time-out: Above all else, give yourself a time-out! To pour into your preemie, YOUR cup needs to be full! Take time for you – exercise, find your self-expression in art or just take time to breathe.